This page explains general concepts related to web apps for webOS Open Source Edition (OSE).
Let us understand some webOS-specific concepts regarding web apps.
Web App Management
In a webOS system, the following components are related to web app management:
- System and Application Manager (SAM) oversees the behavior of apps and manages each app throughout its lifecycle, including the installation, launch, termination, and removal of the app.
- Web Application Manager (WAM) is responsible for launching and managing web apps.
Web App Types
In a webOS system, web apps are categorized by the packaging/delivery method as follows:
- External Web App
- The web app is installed on the webOS target device.
- This approach helps 3rd party developers to create a web app running on webOS devices.
- Built-in Web App
- The web app is built into the webOS image.
- This approach is used by platform developers and contributors to add a web app that enhances the functionality of the platform.
Web App Framework
webOS OSE provides Enact, a React-based application framework optimized for webOS OSE. For developer guides and API reference of Enact, check the project website.