webOS IoT is ONLY
supported from webOS OSE 2.4.0 to webOS OSE 2.18.0. We plan to replace webOS IoT with Matter
in the future release.
Before you set up an environment for webOS IoT development, make sure that you prepare the target device and systems that meet the following requirements.
webOS IoT cannot be built directly on the target device. You must use a separate Linux machine that meets the Build System Requirements
Target Device Requirements
A target device is a device that runs webOS IoT. To test apps and services on your target device, we recommend that you prepare the following set of hardware and peripheral devices.
- Raspberry Pi 4
- microSD card (2 GB or larger) and microSD card reader device
- Ethernet cable and internet connection
- USB to TTL serial cable
- (Optional) Input devices such as a keyboard and a mouse
webOS IoT officially supports Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
. To avoid insufficient memory issues, the recommended memory of Raspberry Pi 4 is 2 GB or higher.
Build System Requirements
A build system is a computer that builds an image from webOS IoT source code. To build a webOS IoT image, you need a Linux machine. Building under Windows or macOS is currently not supported.
webOS IoT can be built on the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Long Term Support (LTS) releases, including:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit (Recommended)
We strongly advise you NOT to use a Linux virtual machine on Windows or macOS for building webOS IoT, as it may cause unexpected issues.
- Minimum: Intel Core i5 dual-core with 4 threads
- Recommended: Intel Core i7 quad-core with 8 threads or higher
- Minimum: 8 GB
- Recommended: 16 GB or higher
- Minimum: HDD with 100 GB of free disk space
- Recommended: SSD with 100 GB of free disk space or more
Before you start building webOS IoT, you need to set up Git on your build system.
Some of the build scripts require use of Python v3.6.8 or higher. Install the required version of Python from the Python official website.
Host Machine Requirements
On the host machine, you can flash the built image to the target device or develop services for webOS IoT. As a host machine, a Linux machine is supported.
The build system (Linux machine) can be also used as a host machine for further development processes.
Recommended version for host operating system is as follows:
- Linux: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or higher